STAND-UP PADDLE-BOARDING (SUP)
Stand-up Paddle-Boarding (SUP) is a really fun and easy way to get out onto the water. Glide along on the water, experiencing the wonderful light and stillness of the ocean. If you are looking for something a bit more adventurous and are an experienced surfer try paddling into waves.
TurfnSurf is located in the centre of Bundoran - the Surf Capital of Ireland, so where better to learn to do Stand-up Paddle-Boarding (SUP). We’re located really near the pier in the centre of town so you will be “walking on water” on the great Atlantic Ocean in no time.
Can anyone learn to SUP?
Yes! Stand-up Paddle-Boarding is accessible to most people, all you need is a little tuition from us and a sense of fun. You do not need to be an expert on the water. We will provide you will all the equipment and teach you the basics. All you need is a basic level of fitness and swimming ability and a sense of adventure.
Our SUP lessons are all conducted by trained instructors, with beach lifeguard qualifications. Lessons take place in a safe environment. Our instructors will tailor the lesson to your ability, keep you safe and make sure it’s a bit of craic!
Where do surf lessons take place?
Most of our SUP trips launch from the Boat Quay in Bundoran, about 400m from the Lodge. Usually, we stay within Bundoran Bay, exploring sea cliffs, caves and keeping our eyes out for sea birds and dolphins. The direction of the paddle depends on sea conditions, weather and the ability of the group.
What do I need to bring?
All equipment for your activity is provided and tailored to the weather conditions – SUP boards, paddles, wetsuits, gloves, boots and hoods. All you need to bring is a towel and a swimsuit.
What happens on the day?
- Meet at the lodge where you will meet you instructor(s)
- The instructors will size you for wetsuits & other equipment
- You can then get changed in the changing rooms at the Lodge
- We will then transport you from the Lodge to the Boat Quay either on foot or in our 4X4 Land Rovers
- At the Boat Quay the main points of SUP will be explained - paddling technique and safety - this is known as the land-drill (about 15 mins)
- Your instructor will then help you launch from the pier.
- You will spend about 1.5 to 2 hours on the water. Once you get confident with the techniques your instructor will bring you on a paddle a bit further from the Boat Quay.
- Ratio of students to instructor is 8 to 1
- After your SUP session we’ll bring you back to the Lode.
- Change back into your clothes in our changing rooms.
- Finally tea, coffee & biscuits back in the dining room at the Lodge
TurfnSurf is an Irish Surfing Association (ISA) accredited surf school. All our instructors are also qualified under the ISA and are experienced in the water. All instructors hold a beach lifeguard qualification.
Killian O’Kelly is the proprietor of TurfnSurf Surf School. He grew up in Bundoran and has surfed since the age of 16 years old. He has years of surfing and lifeguarding experience both in the local area and overseas. TurfnSurf is a fully insured surf school. We pride ourselves in providing the highest standard surf lessons; choosing the safest locations for all lessons.
What about the weather?
The best conditions for Stand-up Paddle-boarding (SUP) is calm water with minimal waves and wind. We will advise you if the conditions are suitable about 24 hours before the lesson.
There are times when we cannot go Stand-up Paddle-Boarding because of the weather. Lessons may be cancelled if conditions are considered dangerous by our instructors and/or Killian. We will make this decision on the morning of each activity. We endeavour to always provide the activity but we may cancel because of weather conditions. This is for your safety and to ensure you enjoy your activity.
- 1 SUP lesson - €35 per person
- 3 SUP lessons - €85 per person
- 5 SUP lessons - €125 per person
- 1 Junior SUP lessons (U16) - €25 per child
- 3 Junior SUP lessons (U16) - €70