SURFING WITH TURFNSURF
Bundoran is the surf capital of Ireland so where else to learn how to ride a wave in the Atlantic Ocean. Experience the great outdoors, get into the sea but most importantly you'll have great fun and meet great people.
Can anyone learn to surf?
Most people can learn to surf. You do not need to be an expert in water. You just need to have a sense of adventure and enjoy being in the water. You can learn to surf if you have basic fitness and swimming ability.
Surf lessons take place in a safe environment with experienced and trained instructors. Our instructors will always keep you safe in the water and tailor the lesson to the participants’ abilities.
- Gather at the lodge & meet your instructor(s)
- Sizing for wetsuits & equipment. Change in changing rooms at the Lodge
- Transport from the Lodge to the beach in 4X4 Land Rover
- Go through the main points of surfing on the beach, this is known as the land-drill (about 15 mins)
- Into the water for about 1.5 hours learning to surf with hands on tuition from your instructor
- Ratio of students to instructor is 8 to 1
- Out of the water and back to the Lodge
- Change into your clothes in our changing rooms
- Tea, Coffee & biscuits back in the dining room at the Lodge
Where do surf lessons take place?
We conduct our surf lessons on various beaches in the local area including; Tullan Strand, Bundoran Main Beach, Rossnowlagh, Streedagh, Mullaghmore and Strandhill. The location is chosen depending on the local weather and swell conditions. We provide transport to and from the beaches in our 4X4 Land Rovers.
What do I need to bring?
We provide all equipment for your activities – surfboards (soft boards for beginners), wetsuits, gloves, boots and hoods. You just need to bring a swim suit for wearing under your wetsuit. You might also want to bring a towel so you can keep the one you get in the hostel clean for your shower later on.
We are an Irish Surfing Association (ISA) accredited surf school. All our instructors are also qualified under the ISA. Killian O’Kelly is the proprietor of TurfnSurf Surf School. He grew up in Bundoran and has surfed since the age of 16 years old. He has years of surfing and life guarding experience both in the local area and overseas. TurfnSurf is a fully insured surf school. We pride ourselves in providing the highest standard surf lessons; choosing the safest locations for all lessons.
What about the weather?
Surfing like all our activities is weather dependent. Lessons may be cancelled if conditions are considered dangerous by our instructors and/or Killian. We will make this decision on the morning of each activity. We endeavour to always provide the activity but we may cancel because of weather conditions. This is for your safety and to ensure you enjoy your activity.